Saturday, July 7, 2007

The New 7 Wonders of the World

7 New Wonders web site

There was a vote on the new 7 Wonders of the World. They are:

Chichén Itzá, Mexico
Christ Redeemer, Brazil
The Great Wall, China
Machu Picchu, Peru
Petra, Jordan
The Roman Colloseum, Italy
The Taj Mahal, India

In general I am OK with them.
I can't believe the eiffel tower, the statue of liberty and the sydney opera house were even nominated. I would have cut them first.

I think a wonder of the world should be:
1. Several hundred to 1,000+ years old.
2. Amazing feat of work (design or engineering etc) for its time (and ours).
3. Some question as to why it was created (hence 'wonder').

Which brings me to my first gripe of the list. The Christ Redeemer in Brazil. It is a great icon for the country but not really a "wonder" that religious people would want a large statue. It is also very new (1931).

In its place I would really like to see the Statues of Easter Island and Stonehenge.

Which brings me to question #2. Can you really vote in Chichen Itza w/o keeping the Pyramids at Gaza as an original Wonder?

I agree the Acropolis should not be on the list mostly because it is in such terrible condition. With that in mind I'd almost bump the Colleseum for Stonehenge because having been there, the outside looks nice but the inside is really worn AND they now have to support one of the sides w/ scaffolding (an eyesore).

(I didn't take any pictures of the scaffolding because it ruined the... er ruin).

Although I agree with it, I felt like bumping the Taj Mahal after seeing how annoying their marketing and campaigning was for it.

Machu Picchu would be the next wonder on the new list that I would like to see.

Add your thoughts and note the 7 Natural wonders are next, any nominees? I bet the Great Barrier Reef gets a pass onto the list.

10 comments:

Dale said...

I don't think I'm completely qualified, but the Grand Canyon is on my personal wonders list. Unbelievable!

Dave said...

I was thinking about that and agree.
I came to it from Tempe and the land is so flat and then a huge hole drops out in the middle of nowhere.

I haven't seen the Redwoods, but the Grand canyon maybe the most amazing natural wonder I have seen.

Tom said...

I guess I am not sure I would include a natural wonder at all? Otherwise why not angel falls, or niagara falls, or heck the moon!

Also Shelby is a wonder of the world. She is so beautiful.

I think a wonder of the world should be made made but not sure exactly how the heck it happened. I think Machu Pichu has that with the smooth rock walls that fit together so tight you couldn't slip a piece of paper between. Some crazy hypothesis is that they used lasers!

Martha said...

The official wonders of the world should be "man" made...at some point in history. And I agree they should STILL have us wondering how they came about (pyramids, stonehenge, whatever).
That being said, I think there is also a qualification for natural wonders of the world.
I am intrigued why Statue of liberty would make it in the running...that's not a wonder as it is a sign of capitalism. And the once-good relations with France.

Anonymous said...

If the official wonders should be man made, that takes out Stonehenge and the pyramids because everyone knows they were made by aliens...

Karen said...

the statue of liberty and the eiffel tower are a joke- no wonder there!

BTW, i'm not up on my news - what qualified these people to even have this list redone in the first place?

Anonymous said...

i think the wonders should only be natural. no man made. couldn't the right person/people make anything?

Martha said...

man made wonders can't compete with natural ones. B/c of that, I feel there should be separate lists. But then it's hokey to have the 7 man made wonders and the 7 natural wonders....
However, some man made really are true "wonders" even now. I agree with Karen - what qualified people to feel this even need to change?

Anonymous said...

indeed, shelby is a wonder of the world. i really hope that our 2nd dog will be half as beautiful as shelby.

Martha said...

I didn't realize that 6 of the original 7 wonders are no more...I guess they can't be a wonder of the world if they no longer exist...