Friday, September 21, 2007

Soda Review: Mt Dew Game Fuel


I don't drink beer, and I don't drink coffee. Both invite the discussion and comparison of various new versions or flavors. I do get 100% of my caffeine from soda. In college I was well versed in every knock off brand of soda that could be bought for under $.75 per 2 liter. When I graduated and got a job I told myself I would pay up to get real Coke etc.

I also don't play xbox 360 or Halo 3. But at Target today Zach and I decided to try the new Mountain Dew Game Fuel, a soda co branded for Halo 3 "Gamers".

It is ironic that it is for Halo 3 because I would give it a 3 on a scale of 1 to 10. That would put it just above Cott Black Cherry, which Vishad provided free to the Engineering lab as long as you were a member of the engineering society, AIChE. It will also put it just below "Splash it Up" (think 7 up) which I think was $.59 per 2 liter circa 1998 and almost as good as "Seventeen".

Based on my professional soda drinking expertise, I would say Game Fuel is 1/2 Mt Dew Code Red and 1/2 Mt Dew Live Wire. But they did seem to add some other necessities like glycerol ester of wood rosin and 73 mg of caffeine. It is so bad you probably need to run out and try it. With only 2 gone of our 12 pack, there is a good chance I will offer you some next time you are at the house. But don't panic the odd after taste is probably a result of the brominated vegetable oil.

I cannot confirm if this Limited Edition soda was just a process mistake like the rumors around OK soda back in 1994.

OK Soda Wikipedia

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Completely unrelated to the taste of soda, how about Earnhardt Jr. going from the Budweiser sponser to a Mountain Dew sponser? That's a gigantic downgrade.

I always hate when you are at a drive-through and you ask for Mt. Dew and they give you Code Red (generally happens at Bell). Code Red is not Mt. Dew. Just tell me that you are out of Mt. Dew. Upsets me.

KJ

Tom said...

Remember when the AIChE sodas were a joke, the laughing stock of UMass, but Vishad was the police of the soda and was like "come on guys, no more I.O.U.s"

Anonymous said...

What are the odds that Little E is sporting a Mt Dew Game Fuel car at some point?

Seriously everyone know the role of AIChE was to get us free soda, Vishad just happened to be lackey picked to deliver the goods.

On another note, Cott Grape is the best in class Grape soda in the world.

Karen said...

the fact that a video game has it's own soda is ABSURD

Anonymous said...

Dave, what are your top 5 soda's?

Mike

Anonymous said...

1. Coke
2. Cherry 7up
3. Jones Orange and Cream
4. Mountain Dew
5. Cott Grape

Also:
A&W Root Beer
Orange Crush

Anonymous said...

I forgot about Orange Crush, and think it is the best orange soda. My top 5:

Dr Pepper
Coke
Canada Dry Ginger Ale
Slice (regular like 7UP)
Nestea Brisk Tea (if that qualifies)

Anonymous said...

That top 5 was mine.
Mike

Anonymous said...

I used to like Dr Pepper, but not so much now. Mr. Pibb and Pibb Xtra are ok too.

Brisk in a can is the best iced tea.

Stewart's Old Fashioned Grape sode is the worst grape. Probably because it is made w/ real concord grape juice like welch's.

Slice organe is pretty good but nothing beats Crush.

Anonymous said...

Does anybody like Moxie?

Mike

Anonymous said...

moxie? what's moxie?

Anonymous said...

I don't remember what it tastes like, I know it was on a list of Retro brands ready to make a comeback.

I think it is a New England brand only. Kinda like the way my wife doesn't understand when I buy NECCO wafers.

Anonymous said...

1. Dr. Pepper
2. Raspberry Ginger Ale
3. Coke
4. Tonic Water
5. Scot-Lad Creme Soda

My grandmother always had this awful store brand soda when we visited in Ohio. However, the creme soda was phenomenal.

Tonic water straight is fantastic.

KJ

Anonymous said...

KJ,

I'll have to look for that soda.

I no longer find Dr Pepper refreshing to drink. I remember drinking it alot while playing Risk.

Anonymous said...

Moxie was originally from Maine and it tasted like bad cough medicine. Some people at work who grew up with it loved it.

There is a strange connection to Moxie for a lot of folks. Check out the parade pics:

http://www.moxie.info/

So, what are your top 5 least favorite sodas?

Mike

Anonymous said...

Worst Sodas:

First take out anything diet or sugar free etc.

1. Stewart's Old Fashioned Anything
The Orange and cream is too much cream, the grape is too much real grape juice, and the cherry is just so so.
2. Pepsi
3. Fresca (does that even count?)
4. Coke Black
5. Mt Dew Game Fuel (ignore the fact that I have since finished the case we bought)

Anonymous said...

wait just a second, husband. i totally dig the chocolate necco wafers.

Anonymous said...

RETURN OF THE BLOG WITHIN A BLOG...

we are going rollerskating tonight. wanna go? give us a call.

marsman57 said...

I found this post when searching Splash It Up. Man that stuff was terrible. Game Fuel is much better than it in my humble opinion.

Anonymous said...

younjin Slipcovers oshkoshyouyi Polar Heart Rate Monitors dressed Popcorn Machines laid Garage Door Openers gardist Area Rugs preceeded Omeprazole workspace Vacuum Cleaners outrageous