Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Elections


We tried a new restaurant this weekend with some friends, El Coyote. It was good Tex/Mex with very good salsa, but how many times have you ever been behind parties of 35, 21, and 14? On the way back I was driving Rachel's car and a guy was following me pretty close. At the next light he pulled up along side and asked us to roll down our window, "where did you get that Obama sticker?" Based on today, he must have been visiting from another state, maybe Vermont.

Speaking of voting, despite living in my precinct for 6 years, there is no record of me being registered. Despite the fact that I voted last year and back to 2004.

Why are most poll workers condescending and almost try to make you feel thankful that they will allow you to vote today?

Why is online voting so hard, when I can access all of my money online w/o worrying about losing a penny? Maybe we'll be voting at US Bank in the future.

Voting Instructions should read:
Come to America, where you are free to register to vote to influence the delegate who actually gets to vote on your behalf for whoever will benefit him/her politically.

Our country is a mess because more people voted for David Archuleta than any presidential candidate.

4 comments:

Karen said...

i didn't know you were an obama fan.

after our recent (friday night) adventure to a new mex place that we WON'T go again, Jim and I agree that the first impression of the restaurant should be a good one -- the salsa should NOT taste canned.

Anonymous said...

obama fan? this is an obama household. after last night, i might be urging dave to relocate to toronto.

Anonymous said...

Voting is really a terrible process.

I consider myself Independent. I think we need to clean house. I'm not even as worried about who is president as much as them clearing out all these old advisors who have been around too long.

McCain is like Bush III, there was even talk of him picking Jeb Bush for VP. Hillary is terrible. If you tried to watch a debate with the mindset of supporting her you wouldn't make it through 10 mins before changing your mind. Her personality is grating.

I like Obama, he is trying to enroll younger generations. If you read Generation Debt, she basically says the country has been run by older generations that have lived well by placing lots of debt onto us. I'm not too concerned about the idea of Dems increasing taxes because Bush's large debt is just another way of raising future taxes.

About the only thing I disagree w/ Obama (and its not so much him as the Dems) is repealing the tax cuts. I'm fine w/ high Dividend taxes since that is a very progressive tax. But raising capital gains taxes, I think hurts poor and middle class more.

If a wealthy person who makes $1,000,000 in stocks it isn't a huge deal to only keep $600,000 vs $850,000. But for a normal person saving for retirement and makes $100,000 in stocks, keeping only $60,000 vs $85,000 is a big deal and can add another year before retiring to make up that gap.

This means the only way to retire is by a 401k (then pray our tax brackets don't go up by the high debts we have). Especially since as you get older your tax burden from taxable accounts will only grow as your nest egg grows.

Dave

Tom said...

I'm currently wearing my Obama t-shirt I got from some people who work for his campaign.

I agree with Dave's thoughts on Obama, but want to add how concerned I am about repealing the tax cuts.

In fact, I am most concerned with the the higher dividend and capital gains tax. I don't believe a higher dividend tax is necessarily progressive, though I understand the point. But when you look at the S&P 500 and the fact that a huge portion of the growth of an S&P index fund is due to dividends and then you raise taxes on them, suddenly overnight these stocks aren't as valuable to everyone. So their mutliples change and everyone loses money on the deal. I think the wealthy will be annoyed while the middle class will pay the price. This obviously goes for capital gains taxes too.

It would be a bumpy ride to change those tax cuts in this economy.