Sunday, April 29, 2007

Eating Healthy

Ok so it's not Jim's organic peanut butter that wouldn't pass stability 101 for phase separation, but I am eating healthier.

All thanks to my beautiful bride to be (since we are not married yet, I guess she still wants me to live for a long time).

Rachel has been known to offer to cook spaghetti and meatballs. Half way through dinner she will ask what I think of her meatballs. When I say they are good, she starts to smirk a bit and tells me they are turkey meatballs. As long as they taste good and aren't the "wheat balls" they would try to sneak on us at school, I am
OK. I really haven't noticed any difference in switching to whole grain
pastas and whole grain Eggo Waffles etc.

There are many healthy things I do like. We support our local farmer's markets (which should make Discovery Health's Sara Snow happy). We had some amazingly huge
organic grapes this year from a farmers market near Lebanon. Take
normal grapes and inject them with 50% more water and that's what these
tasted like.

But health food has finally gone mainstream in my opinion. Healthy eating used to be a life style choice, but now you can keep your current lifestyle and make healthier choices (see whole grain Eggos).

Exhibit A: Snack Food
During a movie or any sporting event, I like a little snack in my tummy. Rachel found this great product at Trader Joe's.

I don't care if these are healthy, they taste really good. To me they taste very similar to Andy Capp's Cheddar Fries. You can even taste the cooking oil in them which is sunflower etc but still very tasty and 0 g of trans fat!

Exhibit B: Soda
Fact: I drink soda, and that probably won't change any time soon although I do try to drink more water these days.
Organic / Natural Sodas are pretty good. I like Blue Sky which can even be
found in Kroger. Just don't mix up Truly Orange and Orange Divine. One
tastes like a good orange soda (Truly Orange), the other tastes like
orange juice you'd get at Boy Scout camp.

Have I noticed any changes? The most significant change I have noticed is that Fast Food bothers my stomach. I still enjoy a Taco Bell CheesyGordida Crunch and
I had a great double cheeseburger when we went to The Jug today
(www.thejug.com). But Big Mac's etc, they do bother my stomach now that
I don't eat fast food as often. Kinda like your first week eating back
at school before your stomach adjusts. Then you go home for
Thanksgiving and come back and the school food bothers you again.

Rachel may not nominate me for Healthy Eater of the year, but some things are
very easy to try without radically changing my lifestyle.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Ummm... you eat a million more healthy things. You eat yogurt so much that I now have to buy two flavors (plain for me, strawberry for you), dried cherries, just peas/just peaches (Wild Oats stores), snack salad (my personal favorite), and you LOVE clementines. The biggest changes I've noticed with you are that you find things at home to eat, rather than running for a Big Mac...and you are actually liking new things! The Dave Sturgis I met a few years ago would not have even tried baked stuffed apples, but you ate two of them the other day. Yahoo!

Karen said...

i've never seen those veggie stix but they look frightening!

I applaud your efforts though!

Karen said...

YOU'VE BEEN TAGGED!!! (See my blog for details)

Anonymous said...

Dave, since Rachel has started to convert you, its only fair that she learns to enjoy Doritos and a refreshing coke to wash it down.

Mike

Martha said...

the only problem with eating healthy is how friggin expensive it can sometimes get!

Anonymous said...

Dave, based on your recommendation of Veggie Fries, I tried the Veggie chips in an effort for a more healthy snack. I guess it worked out as I had 2, I didn't like the first, and about 10 minutes later decided they could not be that bad, but the second one was. Will look for your veggie fries.

Mike