Sunday, June 3, 2007

Generation Debt

My latest book, Generation Debt by Anya Kamenetz is pretty good.

I didn't know it when I bought it, but the book was written by a 24 year old.
I couldn't believe she was only 24 and had already written a book.
Then I flipped over to the back to see that she was nominated for a Pulitzer for her work on Generation Debt.

The book is very organized, which makes it easy to skip to the next topic you
want to read. I never skip around in books but I had to on this one.
She starts out talking about how expensive college has become and has a
lot of great facts about it and the legal history that led to college
being so crazy expensive. But then she follows it up w/ about 5-6
personal stories, and after 2-3 you fell like you are being beaten over
the head. "I got it college is more expensive now, let's move on."

Best Fact from the book so far:
Part of Bush's "No Child Left Behind Act" involved a sneaky piece of
legislation that released the home phone numbers of all US students to
the military for recruiting.

I can't wait for the chapter called "Federal Rip-offs: Deficits, Social Security, Medicare"

2 comments:

Karen said...

sounds like you need to do a book report for us out here in the real world!!

Anonymous said...

We should start a lottery where people under 40 bet $100 on what month and year social security goes bankrupt. The winner(s) split the pot.

I enjoy my Social Security statements that remind you what you have put in and what you will (not) get for a payout.

Mike