Saturday, April 19, 2008

What Earthquake?

I woke up to find a txt message from Tom asking about an earthquake.
I felt nothing.
There are many things about this story that don't make sense:

1. I am a light sleeper, if my bed was shaking I'd be in the know.
2. Lucy "Thunderclap" would have jumped right into bed with us if she even heard an earthquake let alone felt it (she slept right through).
3. Zach was up getting ready for work and felt nothing.
4. My house is between Tom's and the earthquake.
5. It just seems weird that a 5.2 earthquake SW of Louisville would shake houses in Ohio.

So I started doing some Geology searches on Google and created this map.
I used a Geology map of Ohio and Google maps to eyeball our locations as best I could. I'd really need some long/lat data to confirm this.


My theory is this earthquake traveled this deep vein of bedrock that did not go by our house. Based on this map I made I would predict that ONLY Tom and Meghan would have felt it (which is true now that Dale confirmed he didn't feel it).

Most of the people at work who felt it live near Lawrenceburg, IN which looks to be close to this vein as well as a lot of the west side.
This map includes roads and towns which may help or be too much info:

What would be neat is I bet the new owners of Karen and Jim's old house had a good chance of feeling it since it looks like this vein runs close to Fairfield.

6 comments:

Dale said...

So you're saying that you hafta be on that deep purple section of the map to feel it? I'll ask my neighbors if they felt it.

So now maybe there's a chance it was never there, vs. I slept through it...

Tom said...

Dave - great analysis! In fact I read the same thing - the ground your house is on can even increase the amplitude of the EQ waves. We are deffiately connected because we shook for almost 1 minute. Only one other person at work said they shook for a "long-ass time" - ost others said 10 seconds if any at all.

We also felt 2 after shocks, where we shook for 5 seconds each. Those were recorded around the 2.2 range at the epicenter. There was also a 4.6 aftershck at 11:15am that I didn't feel at P&G.

Anonymous said...

Dale,

I think that's my point. It would seem weird that an earthquake would travel that far over all of the land equally. I think it ran into changes in the ground that made it dissipate easier in some areas and stay strong on others.

I'll check with Kyle, he should be on top of that vein in Fairfield.

Dave

Karen said...

this is fabulous. I'm so glad you took the time to research this (seriously). now i have this great desire to go by my old house and ask them. Oh! i could call the old neighbors across the street!!

i can't believe that T&M felt the aftershocks too - good god!

Martha said...

I read where people in FL claim they felt it...
There is definitely something with the ground. Out here (Oregon) you can often feel earthquakes well below 3.0 (typically under about 3.3 is considered to be too low to feel). I also read that in the midwest you can typically feel smaller earthquakes and they can be felt at relatively large distances.
This differs from CA, where they are typically stronger earthquakes yet felt only within much shorter distances.

Have you felt any of the other earthquakes (aftershocks I'm assuming) yesterday? When I looked on the USGS.gov site I saw there were some decent sized ones within the last day at the same site as last week's.

Anonymous said...

I will post a Yahoo article and Map later on where it was felt.

They say earthquakes travel so far in the midwest because our bedrock is older and all connected.

Out west the bedrock is young and broken up so it is tough for quakes to travel.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080421/ap_on_re_us/midwest_earthquake_aftershocks_8