Sunday, December 10, 2006

Christmas Carols



Growing up I loved all the holiday standards. Karen would include Celine Dion remakes into that list but I think most people know what I mean. One that I never really liked was the Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting on a Open Fire) it really didn't do anything for me. Just this holiday season I have heard it a few times and I am really starting to like it. Maybe because it has a very vintage sound to it that I can appreciate being a homeowner (I like staying home a lot more now).
Now I am starting not to like some of the old corny songs like "Grandma got run over by a reindeer." Maybe I just don't like holiday carols with their own cartoon. I really can't stand any remake from pop bands of any era. U2 or whoever trying to sell some records over the holidays. The absolute worst I have heard this year is the Carpenter's "Santa Claus is coming to town." It is slow and drawn out and painful with their changes to the melody.

Disc #2 Song #11
Listen to a sample here on Amazon

On a side not one of my favorite things about being a homeowner in the winter is controlling my own heating vents. While there is no good reason to have a vent fully open in a small bathroom I love it because it makes the bathroom very very warm. At my parents house we had a couple of cold bathrooms just because they were small and on the outside wall with a cold window.
I think I really cemented my appreciation for the warm winter bathroom in Rachel's last apartment. She had only a couple big heating vents and one was in the bathroom so it was easily 90 degrees all the time. Perfect for staying motivated to take a morning shower before going to work.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I did enjoy that about my apartment. Awwwww... now I remember peanut butter and dorito sandwiches and long nights with Lost dvds.

Anonymous said...

now we each have a floor to ourselves :(

Dale said...

And you hafta communicate through blog comments...

Anonymous said...

this way we still feel close even if separated by football and Brizezillas

Karen said...

i totally hear you on the "booing" of cheezey christmas songs. i heard that dumb dominic the christmas donkey song and wanted to drive into a phone pole.

Martha said...

I agee, funny how the songs that were once...well, boring, are now some of my faves. However, on the ick list: "christmas in the northwest" where even if you take away the presents, we still have the tree. stupid lyrics!