Friday, May 4, 2007

Presidential Debate

I DVR'd the latest debate and watched a bit tonight.

The problem I have with the presidential campaign is that it is very similar to Survivor. In the end the winner is never the smartest, the strongest, or anything else remarkable.
On survivor the winner is often someone who stays quiet at first hanging onto others coat tails, then they backstab enough people to get ahead but not too many to be the jerk.

In the future our elected officials will have almost no power as their voting will be determind by text message votes like American Idol:

"If you think the previous motion should pass, text Idols01 to 53465..."

While he has no chance of winning, one guy I did like was Ron Paul, not only does he look like Ross Perot but he will give you real answers instead of buzz words when you ask why Iraq is such a mess.

Questons I would ask the next President during my bi-weekly:

1. What part of the Boston Tea Party convinced you we need more taxes?
2. Have you considered going on House Hunters to find the next White House?
3. Are you not interested in fixing social security and medicare because you know you get 40% of everything I own when I die?
4. Can we no longer half-ass Columbus Day? I don't care which way you go but make a decision. Me having to go to work but not get any mail isn't working.
5. Have you seen the HD special on the supervolcano under Yellowstone? Any thoughts on this?
6. Should a country with a huge debt be run by someone who spent millions to land a job that pays $400,000? Show your work.

Feel free to add your own

6 comments:

Martha said...

I am really entertained by your take and recap of this, and other events. Makes me chuckle and silently say "yea!" and "so true!!"

Anonymous said...

i heart you. except for the house hunters thing...

Dale said...

You know, about the social security thing... After doing my taxes, and then learning from Tom's blog that 20% of my taxes go to Social Security, I calculated exactly how much money went from my pocket into SS. It's seriously depressing.

Anonymous said...

You should calculate how many years of your SS earnings that cost you based on what you are expected to get IF there is a SS when your retire.

Tom said...

I'm also pissed this I am fully invested in Social Security (if I stopped working today my benefit when I am 65 wouldn't change) but I have to keep paying into Social Security because the math is out of whack.

Also why doesn't my benefit adjust with inflation, it's small to begin with, but will be even smaller in 30 years (actually at 3% inflation it will be worth about 1/2 of today's dollars.)

Karen said...

your last one is my absolute favorite!!!!!!