Sunday, November 12, 2006

Profile: Lucy

Lucy is our dog. She came with the fiance, but I couldn't have asked for a better dog. I met Lucy on my first date w/ Rachel but didn't know I would soon be sharing my bed with her and taking her to the 24 hr animal clinic at 5am. Rachel often takes off her engagement ring and offers it to Lucy because she says I love the dog more than her. I keep saying "that is crazy, there is no way Lucy is a size 4.5."
Lucy has had a tough adjustment to living in the house with Rachel and I. She lived with her sister Missy at Rachel's mom's house. There, the dogs live well in the kitchen but have rules and aren't allowed upstairs or on the carpet. In 6 months since moving in with us, Lucy is now a thread count snob.
Taking Lucy away from her sister was tough, she wasn't familiar with the new house and was really nervous to even step on carpet. We had to leave her home alone since we both worked and put her in the laundry room thinking the smaller space would make her feel more secure. For the first few weeks, she would get really nervous and poop on the floor of the laundry room. Since Rachel worked up in Dayton at the time, I would be the lucky one to come home to clean up. 45 mins and two rolls of paper towels later and we were friends again. I even gave her extra treats once she got to 2 weeks without pooping in the house.
My biggest fear is that I will forget that I let her outside. All summer I was able to go outside with her but now that it is getting colder I watch her from the window. Why so much attention to her outside? See my later blogs.
Lucy has a few talents. She will not eat her food in her dog bowl. She has to knock the bowl over with her nose, then eat the spilled food. When she gets nervous she makes piles of food around the house. After we got back from Alaska and brought her back from Rachel's mom's house she left at least 7 piles around the house (just incase). There was a pile in the dinning room, on the stairs, at the top of the stairs etc. They usually stay for a bit until she feels better and then she will slowly eat them all. When my family came in for Tom's wedding she started making piles again. My brother Mike picked one up and I think it made Lucy mad.
Her latest trick is she now spills her food, piles it up, then flips her empty bowl back on top. I assume instead of taking the time to make emergency piles all over the house, she is cutting to the chase by making her food "disappear" so we will refill the bowl. Don't believe me?





4 comments:

Dale said...

What came first:

You sharing a bed with Lucy
You sharing a bed with Rachel

Mamma Sarah said...

How cute!

Anonymous said...

Silly Dale. That's an age-old question, like: Which came first? The chicken or the egg?

We may never know.

Karen said...

now that is a cute dog. my parents dog hides her treats but i've never seen a dog hide her food!!

ha ha to dale!