Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Who's Next?


My office is at the end of the hallway. There are 4 young guys down this end of the hallway in the last 4 offices (maybe they did some kind of study).
At least once a week we wheel our chairs out into the doorway and complain about our cable/Internet/and phone bills. No matter what we try we end up in the $130/mo range if you want HDTV w/ Internet.
Here is what happened today. Rachel and I have ADT Security (w/ motion sensors so don't even try) and today they sent us a letter saying "sorry you are no longer an ADT member, reactivate and get 2 months free." I was confused since this is one of the ONLY bills I allow to be drawn out of my bank acount directly. I called them up and they said it was a mistake. Actually it sounds like a marketing ploy to increase subscribers. I said "oh, well then do I still get the 2 months free, and they said yes!" Now, I've got the bug so I call up Time Warner and tell them someone offered me Internet access for $20 /mo and asked how much I would save off my bundle if I cut out their Internet service. They transferred me to their retention department. I had heard from one of the guys at work to try this and it is surprisingly easy (which makes it scary that it has to come to this).
At the retention department I told a really nice guy my line and he said "we'll take care of that." He said I was paying $42.50/mo for Internet (which surprised me since I thought I got in at $35 plus the P&G discount which is roughly $0) he said he could knock it down to $29.95 for 6 months (and then call back after six months). Also, unprompted he said he could work a deal on my digital cable plus HD package (I don't know what it was).
I told him I was interested in adding a DVR and saw their add for free DVR service for 12 mos if you add Digital phone. I told him (and this is actually true) that I could not add digital phone because my alarm system was on my regular phone. He said "no problem we'll work it out".
Here are my results:

Prior Bill: ~$125/mo
Digital Cable
HD Tier Channels
Road Runner Internet
a second TV

New Bill: $107/mo
Digital Cable
HD Tier Channels
Road Runner Internet
a second TV
and now a DVR

Savings: ~15% plus a DVR (which may save me from buying the Office Season 3 on DVD next year)

I wonder if this will work on the IRS...

1 comment:

Karen said...

yeah.... let me know how the IRS attempts go!